Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Salsa Recipe

I've had several people ask me for the recipe for salsa. There isn't really one, so I'll do what I can! :) And this is from Kim. Everything is chopped by hand (or a hand chopper)--if you like very runny salsa, you can probably put everything into a blender and do it that way. I like chunkier salsa, like pico de gallo (is that how it's spelled??). And this usually makes almost 2 big jars of salsa...
5-6 regular tomatoes OR 10-12 Roma tomatoes, skinned*, chopped and drained (my tomatoes
are really juicy, so I throw them into a strainer after I chop them)
1/2 large red onion, chopped
2-4 green onions, chopped
cilantro, chopped (it's all up to your taste. It doesn't take a whole lot)
Lime juice (I squeeze the juice out of 1/4 to 1/2 of a lime)
Salt to taste
That's it! Refrigerate and it'll be gone by the end of day if you're anything like us!
*Kim taught me a trick for skinning the tomatoes very easily. Bring a large pot of water to a gentle boil and drop the tomatoes in--it takes less than a minute (you don't want to cook the tomatoes!). Then put them in cold water (just to cool them off so you can skin them). The skins peel right off!
Enjoy!

No comments: