Monday, September 10, 2012

Disturbing

So, the more I learn on this journey to healthy living, in particular the eating part, the more disturbed I become. Every time I think we're doing great and eating all the right stuff, I find out something else that I want to avoid putting in our bodies! It's very easy to get completely overwhelmed by it all, but there are some things that I kind of just have to draw the line at and say "ABSOLUTELY NOT!" I just read an article (please read it!) the other day on food dyes from 100 Day of Real Food. I couldn't believe it! How is this stuff allowed in our FOOD??? Known carcinogens??
This weekend, Aaron and I were planning our menu for next week. We decided to see how little we could buy and really clean out the pantry and freezers. He found some boxes of jello and pudding in the back of the pantry. I looked at the list of ingredients and promptly threw them away! For the pudding? How about some metal that's used in anything from paint, to sunscreen, to FOOD?? Yep, titanium dioxide is in that little box of pudding. Or how about some sodium pyrophosphate? This is what it is sometimes used for...
Sodium pyrophosphate is sometimes used in household detergents to prevent similar deposition (of calcium and magnesium) on clothing, but due to its phosphate content it causes eutrophication of water, promoting algae growth. (wikipedia)
And the jello? How about some adipic acid? Know what that's used for? Mainly in the production of NYLON! What is the reason for these chemical compounds being put in our food?!? I feel like common sense says if I can't buy titanium dioxide at the grocery store, it sure as shootin' shouldn't be IN the food I buy at the grocery store!! I'm sure I sound all kinds of crazy, but it just makes me cringe and want to move to the middle of nowhere and live off the land! We all feel so much better since starting this journey, but I have to remember that's what it is...a journey. We won't get there in a day or a week or even a year. But we WILL get there! (I hope I don't sound mean and nasty to those who eat jello or pudding from a box. I had no idea this stuff was in such an innocent sounding thing as pudding!! It's another lesson in reading labels and knowing exactly what we're eating!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah but Grandpa Elmer says if it taste good so what! hahahaha.