Monday, December 17, 2012

Baking = Math Lesson

Anna's least favorite subject is math (that sounds really familiar!). It doesn't come as easily to her as reading does and sometimes it's not as fun as science. So I decided to kill two birds with one stone today. I needed to bake some cookies and obviously I needed to teach Anna some math. So she learned how to add fractions. When I told her we were going to do some math, she gave me her normal reaction: pouting, mad, said she couldn't do it, etc etc. When she heard she would get to make cookies *all by herself* she quickly changed her tune! Here's how I got it to work...my recipe for chocolate chips cookies is only for 3 dozen and I needed 6 dozen. So she got a lesson on doubling fractions! We used some shapes blocks to show the fractions and she wrote down the new amounts. Then I helped her gather all the ingredients. She was so excited that she got to do it all completely by herself!! She did such a good job! The only thing I did for her was pour the milk because it was almost a full gallon. She's excited to take our cookies to Colorado and Aunt Cara's for everyone to eat! I'm excited to have done a math lesson with no arguments for once!

No comments: