Thursday, March 28, 2013

Spring! Gardening!

Yesterday afternoon was absolutely beautiful!! The kids and I were outside from 1pm to almost 7pm. I spent the entire time tilling and getting some seeds planted. We got a plot at the community garden this year, so our plan is to plant our garden at home all to tomatoes and put everything else at the other plot (kale, cucumber, zucchini, corn, eggplant, cabbage, cantaloupe, onions, peas, beans, broccoli, and pumpkin). I also went together with a friend and bought all seeds. We were a little late getting them ordered but I think we'll be okay. I've tried seeds for 3 yrs now and I'm determined THIS will be the year it works!! Plus I got a self watering seed tray. :) That was the problem the other years-the seeds didn't get watered! I've got 4 different tomato varieties and 6 different pepper plants. Thanks to Pinterest, I've found a space-saving idea for planting smaller plants using pallets. I used 2 pallets to plant lettuce, spinach, carrots, green onions, and herbs in. Dad should be proud of me...I had to take a small pallet apart to put ends on the big pallets so the dirt would fall out. ;) But next time I need to wear gloves. I still have splinters I can't get out!
Anna will also have her own flower beds this year around the playhouse. She saved her money and picked out her own seeds to plant. So she has a seed tray too :) She even shared and let Jacob pick one to plant as his own. She will have Forget-me-nots, pansies, African daisies, rose moss, and marigolds in her garden!
Now, we just need Spring to stick around for good this time!!


No comments: