Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Real Food

I found a website through pintrest a while back and finally looked through it a couple weeks ago. 100 Days of Real Food is what it's called. Basically this mom decided she wanted to try and cut out all processed foods from her family's diet. It became so popular that she ended up posting complete meal plans and shopping lists on her site. For free! She even has the cost of each item (priced at either Whole Foods or Trader Joe's). For a family of 4, she spends around $160/week for all her food. She points out that a family of 4 on food stamps gets about the same amount! And that's buying everything organic. Everything. The menus include breakfast, lunch, one snack, and supper. Now, my kids eat more than hers do! But I also don't buy everything organic so I wind up staying pretty close to my $100/week grocery budget. My kids usually eat 2-3 snacks a day, too! Part of the cost savings also comes from my garden.
I've been really surprised that my kids have eaten every recipe I've made. And they've found some new favorites! Jacob FINALLY tried peanut butter. It's not his favorite but he'll eat it.
Anyway, it's a really great website and I would encourage you to check it out. Be adventurous and try new things! You just might find a new favorite!! :)

No comments: