Monday, June 11, 2012

Harvest 2012

Harvest always seems to start when we're on our way home from a trip to Colorado. This year was no different, even though it was the first of June! But because it was so early, Uncle Terry's combine and tractor weren't in yet. We stopped by anyway and had fun hanging out. Then the next week we went back out and got in on harvest. The equipment had arrived and the weather cooperated! This year, Jacob brought his little buddy Wyatt along. We were only able to stay 2 days, but everyone had a lot of fun!!

 Picasa added some new editing tools. This is the "pencil sketch".



 New favorite photo!!


 I couldn't resist some pictures with this great green door as the backdrop!


 Someone please tell me that she's not really about to turn SEVEN!!! :'(





 Wooo boy I had a lot of weeding to do after being gone for 2 weeks!! But the garden is looking amazing! I wish I had 2x as much space, but I've squeezed in as much as I could! After getting all the weeds pulled, I decided to put cedar mulch down to help keep moisture in and weeds out (plus it was 50% off!). So far, so good!


 Whatever has been eating my zucchini plants the last 2 years isn't touching this one! I've already gotten one zucchini and have lots more coming on. I'll be making a lot of zucchini bread...! And making lots of pickles! The 3 cucumber plants are looking great, too. Our neighbors will help eat up the watermelon...especially since it's stretching out into their yard!


 I've never done sweet potatoes before, so I have no idea what I'm doing, but they look pretty good! 10 pepper plants...everything from green bells to jalapenos to tabasco peppers! Should be interesting. I already have one green bell about ready to pick!


 This is where I had broccoli, spinach, and lettuce. They are all cooler weather plants. I've never had any luck with broccoli...still didn't this year! I think it just needs to be planted much earlier. We did get lots of spinach and lettuce out, though! After those were done, I planted green onions, velvet sunflowers (they're a deep maroon-red), and some zinnias. Along the fence I've got green beans. Can't wait for those!!


 12 tomato plants!! They're looking really good and all of them already have lots of little green tomatoes on them. I'm looking forward to fresh salsa!!

We stayed at Jeremy and Alisha's so the kids could take turns going out to the field.
 This is what happens when Mama and Auntie Lil get distracted by the baby and her cute new "shoes" and Moxley decides to sit next to Isaac while he's eating lasagna....!


 What a messy eater!!!


 I'm a little (okay, a lot!) jealous of the view from their porch!!




 They found an old tiller. It actually works great. Jeremy made a new handle for it.



 I don't know how anyone can see a sunset and not believe in the Creator...


 He says Mama, put me down already!! I wanna RUN!!!

 
 Lunch break!




 I'll never get tired of taking their pictures in the tractor tire!


 Jacob's little buddy Wyatt. Those boys had so much fun!! (Jacob was already in the combine)


 Look out!! :)





 This boy won't WALK in grass, but he sat right down in the wheat stubble! And started chewing on some straw like an old farmer!!








 Isaac loved the tractor.


 Telling me all about the combine coming.


 Hot stuff, driving the tractor at 19 months old! ;)



 I didn't get very many pictures of Jacob because he was usually on the combine.


 This year, he didn't try to keep the deer right side up. :)


 I married a farmer after all!! ;) He got a bit nervous when Uncle Terry mentioned how much money he was sitting in ;) He even moved it from field to field!





Jacob "helping" cousin TJ check things out. TJ put a guidance system on the combine this year so it didn't even have to be steered! Just turn it around at the end of the row. Technology!

As always, we all had fun and I love keeping the tradition alive with my family.

No comments: