Tuesday, September 24, 2019

House Projects!

This summer we FINALLY got our floors fixed and replaced. Several years ago, when Aaron was gone for a weekend (this is a trend he hasn't caught onto yet) I decided to tear out our old, NASTY carpet in the front room(at the time our dining room/sitting room) and back room (at the time our living room). I figured I could just cheaply paint the subfloor and that would do for a few months until we could decide on new flooring and get it ordered and put in. HA!! When I tore out the carpet in the back room, I discovered what the large hump was...the old cement utility porch!!! When previous owners had the addition put on in 1999, their contractors did not remove the giant 8' x 10' cement slab. So that kind of put a kink in the whole "the floors will be replaced soon" plan. We had to figure out how on earth to fix it and how we would ever be able to afford to fix it! We finally hired a contractor and resigned myself to cleaning up cement dust for the rest of my life. They jackhammered it out and leveled it out as best as they could. I sealed off everything as best as I could, but we did still have to live here! It was so loud and so so dirty. But the bedrooms stayed pretty clean, so that was a huge plus (we all slept in the front of the house or at my parents' house). And everything was displaced. Most of my dining room was in our bedroom. As much of the front room as I could move was in the school room. I took everything off the walls in the dining room because I knew that room would be incredibly dirty and dusty. 

Good thing my kitchen is spacious! I had a place to put the table (minus all the leaves).


 Grace thought this was awesome! Her own "sandbox" INSIDE! 


Another time Aaron was gone I got the flooring torn out of the kitchen, so it would be ready for the new floors as soon as the contractor was done and ready to lay the flooring.


Almost done!


The new flooring took up 1/4 of my front room!


 I can't believe I don't have any more pictures of the finished flooring (and I now have a super cozy rug in here), but this shows how gorgeous the floors are! LOVE IT! 


We also had the contractors install a new sliding glass door at the back! It makes the dining room so much lighter. We also replaced the front doors (Dad did that) and it was a disaster. Haha! It took way longer than we expected, had to make a bunch of ridiculous adjustments and basically rig up a frame for it.
And the "easy to install" storm door...they're LIARS! 
I can't believe I don't have a picture of that finished product! It's gorgeous and I love it. Anna picked out the color and it's perfect. I'll have to try to find a picture of it and add it...


 So open...now we just have to replace the deck...step carefully until then! ;-)


No comments: