Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Refurbishing is FUN!

Another project that didn't go as planned...I'm seeing a theme here!
Aaron had this bookshelf made for me in the very early years of our marriage (I remember getting it when we lived in Wichita, so it was in the first 3 years). It's solid and heavy and classic. But it's the honey oak finish that clashes with the new floors (and I just don't like that finish! I loved it back then, but not now!!). So I thought...quick and easy...I'll just put some homemade chalk paint on it and be done in a day! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 


 I won't even show you my epic failure at DIY chalk paint. It was a mess. And I should have known before I even painted ONE stroke that it wouldn't work. But I really wanted it to work and I REALLY didn't want to have to haul it out to Dad's to do this project. So I just kept painting, hoping it would get better. It did not. It just got worse.


 So I hauled it out to Dad's shop and started sanding.


 I actually kind of liked how this looked, so I started to put poly on it...and it just pulled that honey orange color right back out. UGH!


 So then I was concerned that even if I painted it white and distressed it, that the awful honey orange color would still show through! So I stained it dark. And I really didn't mind this look either...except with the dark floors, I knew I needed such a large piece to be lighter...especially since we have dark brown couches.


So I painted it all white (several coats) and then distressed it. WINNER! This is exactly the look I was going for...I just didn't think it would be such a process. 

 I know it's not everyone's style, but it IS my style and I absolutely love it!


And now I can tell exactly when a child uses it as a step to reach something higher...especially during "barefoot all the time" season. Ha!

Stay tuned...I'm sure I'll have another DIY disaster for you soon enough! Ha!


No comments: