In his last chapter, "Where do we go from here?", he suggests asking your spouse/brother/sister/close friend to evaluate you in the presence of the subtle sins he discussed throughout the book. Today was not a very good day for my anger/frustration, I don't have to ask Aaron about that!! He says to ask for honest feedback and to NOT SAY ANYTHING in response. Even if you don't agree with what they say...God may be trying to use that person to open up areas you have been in denial about!
You could use a scale like this:
1-not a problem
2-occasionally a problem
3-frequently a problem
4-characteristic of your life
Do you want the list of subtle sins??? (I know you just said no!!) Here they are anyway. It's going to hurt.
- Anxiety and Frustration
- Pride (moral self-righteousness, pride of correct doctrine, achievement, & independent spirit)
- Selfishness (our interests, time, money and inconsiderateness)
- Lack of Self-control (eating & drinking, temper, money, tv, hobbies, impulse buying)
- Impatience & Irritability
- Sins of the tongue (gossip, slander, lying, harsh words, sarcasm, insults, ridicule)
- Worldliness (money, vicarious immorality, idolatry)
WOW! What a list. I want to share more about a couple of the chapters, but not tonight. I must sleep! Sleep has not been Anna's friend recently :( It's craziness.