Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Quickly

Just quickly wanted to share something as I'm reading through this week's lesson for my Bible study (which is on pride and selfishness...ouch!)
There are several different types of pride that the author addresses. One of which is "pride of achievement". At first I was thinking, I don't really think I have trouble with that one, and then he points out the parent angle! How many times has someone complimented me on how well-behaved Anna is, or how beautiful my children are, or how easy-going they are? And of those times, how many did I say or think "Thank the Lord for His gift of that in her/him"?? I certainly realize that God had a lot more to do with how my children look than anything I did, but don't we, as parents, take "pride" in how well our children behave in public????? As I'm learning (or being reminded, really), that success came from God. Not to say that I haven't put diligent effort into training my children and teaching them manners, but who gave me that instinct, that ability and desire to so? GOD! Bridges gives the example of a Christmas letter, telling "Our son graduated summa cum laude from Yale". As he points out, there's nothing wrong with telling friends and family that news. The sin of pride comes in not giving God the glory for that accomplishment! Am I getting my point across?
Okay, I really need to finish up so I can go to bed! But that really hit me close to home and I wanted to share it while I had time and, quite frankly, while I remembered it!!

1 comment:

Eliana said...

What you´ve posted on from your Bible Studies is very encouraging, and for me, also convicting, which is good, because that leads to change. After reading those posts, I didn´t quickly forget, but God reminds me and helps me to pray for those changes. And I am sure that it also helped others. It is wonderful how God speaks to people. He is a very loving Father, and it is amazing the things that he does for us.
Tim