Sunday, July 27, 2008

Coming out our ears

We're going to have cucumbers and tomatoes coming out our ears. I plan on having my aunt teach me how to make pickles, but that won't be for a while yet. And I've got a couple recipes for salsa and I can also can some tomatoes. We'll have a lot of zucchini too, but I've got a couple recipes for those that keep us and our neighbors in good supply of goodies (brownies and choc. chip bread!!). Plus we can saute them and eat them on salads and fry them (the healthiest choice!). But there aren't so many options for cucumbers...any ideas?? Anybody have any good recipes that use cucumbers?
On a different topic, we've discovered Amazon for groceries. We just went to town and price-compared and Amazon is cheaper on a lot of things and when you factor in the gas it costs us to drive to town (30 miles one way), it's still cheaper than good ol' WalMart. It's kind of like a Sam's club in that you buy bulk. But for the stuff we'll get on there (esp. diapers!!), it will be worth it to have the bulk supply. Also, if you do their automatic reorder, you get 15% off as well. And you can change or cancel the auto order at any time w/out any penalty. I think the main things we'll be ordering from them are diapers, wipes, shampoo and conditioner, disherwasher detergent, laundry soap and fabric softener, and non-perishable food staples (cereal, pasta, etc). Yea for saving money!! :)
Okay, I'll look forward to getting some fun recipes for cucumbers.............

3 comments:

Janet said...

I was waiting to see some cucumber recipes too! Well, I did do a search for cucumber recipes. I came up with lots. I found this one but haven't a clue about the recipes....http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~bcohen/cucumbers/recipes/

I did think that whenever you shred cucumbers, you were to squeeze the water out of them. I didn't see them doing that in these recipes. Sorry I don't have any that I have tried.

Lambert Loggings said...

Jenn ~ once again I am soooo impressed with your produce! :) One quick and easy way to use cucumbers is to cut them up and serve them in a creamy sauce. You probably already know of this way to use cucumbers, but it is one of our family faves. I just peel and slice the cucumbers and quarter the cucumber slices. Then I mix about 1/2 a cup of mayo with a tablespoon of milk (give or take - depending on the consistancy) and quite a few shakes of salt and peper. I pour that over the cucumbers and YUM! We also really like fresh tomatoes in with it. You could also add onions...if you like them.

Jennifer said...

Janet, thanks for the link...I'm not big on seafood and that seems to be the main source of cucumber recipes that I've found! :( I guess like Cara said, you can't beat Ranch and Cucumbers! :)
Kim, that sounds really good! I'll have to try that tomorrow (I KNOW Aaron will love it, we'll see about the kids...). We're about to have a BUNCH of tomatoes, so I might be bringing you some! So far the cucumbers haven't been ripe yet, but it's entirely possible that I'm missing them...!