Sunday, March 1, 2009

God's Love

I haven't posted much about the Bible study I'm currently in. Not because I'm not learning a TON. I guess I just haven't taken the time to sit down and write a post about it. And since both kids were asleep before 8pm tonight (yahoo!!)... :)
We're going through Jerry Bridges' "Trusting God". Tonight I was reading about God's love. Matthew Henry observed (after reading Zephaniah 3:17) this:

"The great God not only loves His saints, He loves to love them."

The psalmist David writes of the greatness of God's love in Psalm 103. God's love is higher than the heavens are from the earth. Just as His ways are high above our ways, God's love is more than we can ever comprehend. Bridges points out that

"(God's love) is not only perfect in its effect, it is infinite in its extent."

It's so hard to wrap my finite, human mind around a love like that. When I'm going through an adversity, a hardship, or just something that's not my idea of good, it's easy to forget that. Bridges reminds us to remember who we are. When we start to think that God doesn't care, that if He really loved us why would He be putting me through this...remember what He did for ME. He sacrificed His one and only Son. For me. Jesus willingly died a horrific death, suffered much...for me. I don't deserve His love. I don't deserve heaven. I deserve hell. A speaker once said

"Anything this side of hell is pure grace."

How true that is. May we all remember and humbly seek the cross and the Savior.

No comments: